Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Good Samaritan

It all starts on the DLR. Giggling, laughing, nervous eyes, tapping feet, sports drinks, cereal bars, large cups of coffee and the intoxicating stench of Deep Heat. Anticipation, to say the least.

A rainbow of neon vests adorned with charity logos, slogans and runners names. ‘Go Dave!’ ‘Shaz runs for Caz’. ‘STEEEEVE’. Placards poke out of the top of crowds as families and friends join their loved ones in the precession to the start line. A gentleman in front of me has a picture on his shirt of a tiny baby girl, in hospital, linked up to machinery and surrounded by cuddly bears. Above the picture is the statement: ‘We Love You Sarah’.

There are fancy dressers, tea drinkers, stretchers, soldiers, nun’s, running clubs and solo hopefuls. A sea of people eagerly awaiting their 26.2 mile fate. The tannoy calls out facts and figures, pointing out ridiculous costumes like the man dressed as a toilet and another nutcase dressed as Big Ben (It turns out that his nickname is in fact Big Ben. 5 pints of lager and a wager with his best man and now he’s at the start line in a very large and, I imagine, uncomfortable costume.) Runners are called up for live interviews, giving opportunity to show support for their different causes. A middle-aged nurse from Manchester has raised over £15,000 in a little over 5 months for new equipment in her ward.

The beginning of the race is a blur. Fanfare, cheering, more tannoy calls, Ant and Dec? Thousands of runners swelling together down the streets. Bands are playing in front gardens; onlookers are clapping, cheering and shouting. Children put their hands out for High-5’s. A pub with a Halloween fancy dress theme (?!) and people stood outside in colorful ghoul costumes dancing to Thin Lizzy. Brass band. Jelly Babies. Rattles. Large steel band. Cheering. Sunshine.

I’m not to good in the heat. I’m not one for sun worshiping and a short stint in the sun usually means a nice long sit in the shade. Not today. At every water station I had a gulp and poured the rest over my head and down my neck. Is it me or is it getting hotter?

The cold showers on the road edge every few miles were now my focus point. I kept dreaming of stopping in the centre of the shower and being passed a crisp cold pint. Oh that would have made my day. My pace was good though and more importantly steady. I kept fuelled, I kept hydrated and I kept running.

Then, somewhere around the 19 mile mark, I felt someone lifting my elbow up over my head and tightly gripping my bicep! What the?! I then realised that he was above me. When I looked down my knees were hovering above the tarmac in a strange, crazy-Dad-dance/too-much-liquor kind of way. I was hovering above the road and my elbow was up in the air. The only thing stopping me from kneeling on the tarmac was his persistent grip.

“Don’t go down. They’ll take you off for a check up.” I nodded and lifted myself up on his arm. “Drink this.” He passed me one of the free Lucozade drinks they were handing out along the route. I took a sip. “Drink it!” So I downed the bottle in one. He smiled, slapped me on the shoulder, said “Good man” and took off! I was confused.

I kept walking. I then thought about my gels and pulled out a gel full of caffeine that I was reserving for the last couple of miles and downed that too. I kept walking. People kept cheering at me “Come on, you can do it!” but it all seemed a bit distant. I kept wondering what had just happened?  Slowly I could feel the Lucozade and gel concoction starting to take effect. My legs started to work again. Trot. Shoulders and back straight. Move arms. Increase pace. This hurts. My legs had gone to jelly. I was still confused. I’d never ‘hit the wall’ before and was sure I’d had more than enough fuel. This really hurts!

I then thought about a book I’d just finished reading. In fact I hadn’t been able to put it down and read it cover to cover. The book is ‘Running America’ by original ultramarathoner and all round badass Marshall Ulrich. He mentioned a placard he saw in a marathon once that simply stated ‘Blisters Don’t Need Chemo’. The image of that placard bounced around inside my skull until my legs were turning over and my feet were hitting the ground again and again and again. Blisters Don’t Need Chemo. 

800m to go. Thank goodness. Eternity, then 600m to go. I was sure that sign should say 4. Come on. Keep going. A woman was running with her back completely bent over and her head between her legs. I have no idea how she was moving forward but she was and people were screaming from all sides to keep her going to the finish. Runners were hobbling in along the road edges. Dazed. Hurting. Confused. The sun had taken its toll. 400m. Keep going. Keep going. Keep going. 200m. Keep going. Keep going. Finish Line. Oh man. That hurt. Stop. Bliss. 


The World Cancer Research Fund (UK) were kind enough to give me one of their reserved places for this years marathon and the funds raised so far are just over £1,200. There are still donations coming in and I would like to thank everyone who has supported this cause for the Virgin London Marathon 2011. I know that they appreciate everyone’s efforts and donations and I look forward to raising some more funds for their very worthy work in the future.


Thank you x