Monday 19 November 2012

Mud Mud Glorious Mud!

For a considerable amount of time now I've been reading blogs, articles, books and websites, watching clips and short films and generally salivating over the British mountain activity known as Fell Running. Even though I knew it would be something I would instantly enjoy I just hadn't had the opportunity to join a race - up until this weekend that is.

With a trip home to North Wales planned it seemed only right to get up early and head over to the classic Penmaenmawr Fell Race on Saturday morning.

WOW!

As predicted - love at first sight. Face plant in a stream, stuck leg in bog, lots of climbing, lots of fast descent, hopping through bracken and boulders, mud, mud and more mud. To top it off the race has its own brew and you receive a bottle on crossing the finish. Oh and the views aren't too shabby either.

It's a lot faster than I would usually travel, so pacing was just a guess especially with the unknown of what the climbing would do to my legs.  My time going up and down Pen-Y-Fan earlier in the year definitely prepared me for some screaming descents! The brain needs to think on overtime, tip-toeing faster and faster over rocks, mud, greenery and water.

Fell Running is a no-nonsense sport over no-nonsense terrain. The opportunity to go and enjoy the fells, hills and mountains of Britain is something I've wanted to get involved with for a long time. My only worry now is how to break it to my wife that the back of the car is going to get converted every Friday evening into a temporary race wagon and that I should, hopefully, return intact some time on Saturday, slightly damp and dirty!



Penmaenmawr Fell Race: 6M/1700ft
www.eryriharriers.org.uk